top of page

Poison in the Most Unlikely Places

As a pet owner, it's important to be aware that many common household items and plants can be toxic to your furry friend. Here are some of the most unexpected places where you might find pet poisons:


- In the kitchen: Chocolate, caffeine, onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, avocados, and xylitol (a sugar substitute often found in sugar-free gum and candy) are all toxic to pets. Keep these foods out of reach and make sure your garbage can has a secure lid to prevent scavenging.


- In the bathroom: Human medications, such as painkillers, antidepressants, and ADHD drugs, can be deadly to pets. Make sure to store all medications (including vitamins and supplements) in a secure cabinet or drawer.


- In the garage: Antifreeze, pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals can be extremely dangerous if ingested by pets. Keep these items locked away and clean up spills immediately.


- In the yard: Many common plants, such as lilies, azaleas, and sago palms, are toxic to pets if ingested. Make sure to research any plants in your yard before letting your pet roam around.


If you suspect that your pet has ingested something toxic, don't wait for symptoms to appear. Call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately for advice.


Recent Posts

See All

Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page